Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Fucking Barcelona

With COLDNOON now defunct, I'm moving my published work there, here. This appeared February 2018. Enjoy!
[update: it's back up! Here is the link]


Fucking Barcelona

Cool southern breeze off the ocean bringing grey clouds
meaning time to heal our burnt skin
and put on jackets and go drink green tea
in Café Schilling reading La Vanguardia and El País
about the protests against government austerity measures
which are really the government's way of paying
for the mistakes it made with the taxpayers' dinero
or not even mistakes really—the deregulation
it handed the rich and the corporations and the banks
and yet no one seems to care but this handful
of people camping out in the Plaça de Catalunya
while everyone else prefers to watch Barcelona
beat Manchester United on the tele
and celebrate the victory at a Shakira concert
since she's dating one of the players now
and still hasn't committed to marrying me
but even I am bored with protestors and manifesting
because it just doesn't seem to matter
the government doesn't care and the bankers certainly don't
and I fear our lack of fear and anger
but still want to enjoy my life
and you
right now
and what was the word you used to describe your confession
that day months ago when it also rained and we ducked
into Café Schilling and the camarera was sexy
with her tattoos and black tights and attitude
and we had decided that we liked Joan Miró more than Picasso
even though in reality it was not either/or but and/both
and both of us were tired from staying up the night before
listening to jazz and walking home through the medieval streets
because the metro had shut down for the evening
which was fine and everything was quiet
the streets
the seagulls
you
and I was quiet too thinking of that song in 5/4
with the latin bass line and the Sex Shoppe in Madrid
where the girl with the knife scar straight up her chest
danced an extra ten minutes for us because
you told her to go back to college and get the philology degree
and even though you encouraged me to jerk off
I wanted to save it for you for later
and now it's much later in our travels
and I can say I love you en español
and you can tease and deny en catalàn
and I wish we didn't have to go back
to our old lives where we're comfortably normal
and does the Universe take care of us I asked
because that's what a woman tells Javier Bardem in the movie Biutiful
and you said yes but I'm not sure
maybe the Universe only takes care of middle-class rich people
and doesn't give a fuck about the poor
especially but not limited to those in Africa who
just want to survive in the postcolonial system
unless the Universe is in fact doing the best it can
given the circumstances
and that things could be even worse
which seems hard to believe sometimes
but when I think about quitting my job and moving to Barcelona I think ok
at least I wouldn't be selling cheap chinese-made purses on the street
trying to support my family
and in fact I could even envision a spanish woman maybe liking me
and me even talking to her somehow
and us touching our naked bodies to each other
though I'm not sure I'm not sure
maybe the Universe is a little busy right now with more important things
maybe I would just end up in a cheap noisy apartment by myself
with my money running out
and I'd have to return to the states
even more poor than now but dude—you said—
fucking Barcelona!

[image: Javier Bardem from Biutiful]

No comments:

Post a Comment